Friday, May 30, 2014

Crunching Numbers

I am the sort of person who likes to have info.  (INTJ.  For reals.)  I don't want to have to guess at things, least of all how long this pregnancy is going to last.

So I've done more research and more reading...come across more photos I didn't want to see.  I went through 20+ pages of Google search results looking for both personal stories and case studies of babies born with LBWC.  I eliminated abortions (which were a lot) and inductions to the best of my ability.

I was left with 16 discrete cases.  The babies were all born between 28 and 38 weeks.

Distribution as follows:

  • 28, 29, 30, 35,  36, & 38 weeks each had 1 birth.
  • 31 weeks had two births
  • 34 weeks had 3 births
  • 32 weeks had 4 births.
There were no births at 37 weeks.

The average gestational age for these babies to be born, then, is 32.5 weeks.  The median and mode are both 32.

So, while there is of course no way to be certain, it seems likely that birth will be around 32 weeks--8 weeks early.  I'll be 40 weeks on the 21st of October, so 32 weeks on the 26th of August.

This is otherwise known as a week after my birthday.

Of course, I don't know the baby will be born then, but I was kind of figuring August anyway, for perfectly superstitious reasons: my uncle and niece died within two days of each other in mid-August, ten years ago.  My niece died the day before my birthday.  I can see this happening.

I've wanted an August baby my whole adulthood.

But not like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment